Things are falling into place for a June 2, 2010 departure for Maputo, Mozambique. There is still much to do in preparation, but the flight itinerary has been arranged, Department of State medical clearance is in hand, official passport has been renewed, visa expected by May 24, all required immunizations and malaria prophylaxis in hand, and travel advance requested.
I expect to be in Africa for 3 months to assist the Centers for Disease Control and the Mozambique National Institute for Health with establishing a clinical bacteriology reference laboratory. The initial focus is on diagnostic procedures for meningitis and sexually-transmitted diseases. The laboratory will be in the capital city of Maputo and will be staffed by at least 2 trained laboratorians. I have met both of them by e-mail. Their names are Sofia Viegas and Jean Paulo Langa.
As nearly as I can tell so far there is no real laboratory work started, but there are 2 protocols in place. I gather that the principle problem with laboratory operations will be the lack of a reliable supply chain for laboratory equipment and supplies. Orders often go unfilled or only partially filled making it difficult to get any real work done. I can't seem to get an explanation for this problem, but I'm sure I'll understand it better when I arrive on site.
I have purchased lots of stuff to try to stay in touch with family. I have a new netbook computer with Skype loaded in the hope that I will be able to have audio and video contact with friends and family. Of course, I have a digital camera and I will be assigned a CDC cell phone. I will also be taking my official government laptop and Blackberry, so the possible ways to communicate are via e-mail, telephone or Skype. I will try to update this site daily once I am in Maputo.
More tomorrow.
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment